Friday, June 1, 2012

Blondies With Vanilla Glaze



I brought these to work...
They lasted all of about ten minutes.


Let me preface what I am about to say with the fact that I am a sensitive person.  


That day, my friend Jaime turned to me as we were cashiering and said:
"So, according to the rumors going around about you--"
"What rumors?"
"Oh, you didn't know there were rumors?  Yeah, I was kinda mad, but don't worry, I got your back."
*Cue customer*


Jaime walks away to organize the magazines so I am left at the cash register feeling a bit concerned and...sensitive about the whole situation.
I turn to my beautiful head cashier Jessica and say, "But...but why would people be saying anything about me?  I don't understand."
Beautiful Jessica said that I could go over and ask Jaime about these rumors.
"Jaime, what are people saying?"
"Oh, just that you made some AWESOME blondies."
"But I thought it was something serious!"
"Are you going to cry? Were you going to cry?"
"No."
"Then you're okay."
I have wonderful friends. 


But the blondies are so good you won't even care if you have friends like mine.  


So, preheat your oven to 350 degrees!




Butter.  Put it in a bowl.
Softened butter.  If you want to set it out on the counter for a while as opposed to mutilating it in the microwave like I do, I highly support it.  




Dump in the two kinds of brown sugar.
I kind of sound neurotic, but I love light brown sugar too much to leave it out.




Cream the butter and the brown sugars until fluffy like this.




Crack in the eggs.  It's best if you crack them in one at a time, but I've been forgetting to do that.




Whisk in the eggs and it will look like this.




Add the salt and vanilla...




Dump in the flour...please




I don't know why I don't have a picture of the finished batter...
I think I remember finishing it and thinking, "Hey, I need a picture of this, but I'm just not going to take it, that makes sense!"
But here I am wondering why all I have is this stupid blurry picture.


Let me say that usually brownies (and blondies) are usually made with melted butter.  It makes them pretty dense and chewy, but I wanted mine to have a little more oomph so I was going to add more flour.  However, I forgot to melt the butter and add extra flour.  Without melted butter, the texture of these blondies is killer. I am never using melted butter for these again. And I won't be adding more flour.
Baking chemistry is ridiculous.
This batter will be pretty thick and annoying to spread into a large baking pan.


SO, pop this guy in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes. 




Dump the powdered sugar into a bowl...




Add two tablespoons of milk and about a teaspoon of vanilla.




Whisk it all together and your glaze is done!  The glaze MAKES this recipe.  




Please let these guys cool before you even attempt to pour the glaze on them.  Please.




Go crazy! Pour the glaze on however you want.  Make it look like a Jackson Pollack. 




It's art!




See this? This is good.  It's beautiful.




Hello, gorgeous.  You come here often?




You might want to make two batches of these because, trust me, they won't last.  
Make these for your friends, even if they're like mine.  
They'll never think of living life without you after you make these for them.  


They're lekker x 23437568.


Love,
Annelise


Here's the recipe!


Blondies


2 sticks softened butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch salt
2 cups flour


for the glaze:


1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat your oven to 350.  
Cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy.  Crack in the eggs one at a time and whisk into the butter mixture.  Add the vanilla and salt and combine.  Gradually incorporate the flour.  The batter will be thicker than regular brownie batter.
Pour the batter into a large baking pan and bake for 20-25 minutes.


In the meantime, combine the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
Once the Blondies have cooled completely, drizzle the glaze over them in an artistic/haphazard/perfect fashion.  Cut into squares and serve!
Enjoy!







1 comment:

  1. Mmmm...I am so glad we are friends. Make me something before I move? I never work when you bring these delicious treats in! :)

    ReplyDelete