Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Sad Cafe

This is the first post I've done that doesn't have a recipe, but I think it's time for me to branch out.
That said, I'm working on a whole new crop of recipes for the next month or two, and I'm really excited about them.


So, today I went to Sweet Tomatoes with my good friend, Katie.  I thought, "Oh, this'll be wonderful.  I'll get a nice big salad and then have a small bowl of mac and cheese.  Good, this is so good.  I'll be reasonable and healthy and fit."


I got a big leafy salad with vinegar and some shredded carrot...pretty healthy, right?  Here's my salad:






Oh and I had scallions!  That really was delicious.
Katie got stuff from the salad bar, too.  There's a bit of a photo progression going from me taking a photo of my salad to me taking a photo of hers.


Here's the first:




Is that Katie hiding her salad in the background? But...why is she hiding her salad?


Here's her salad:




Her salad consisted of:
Shredded Carrot
Pasta salad
Parmesan Croutons
Shredded Cheese
Wonton Strips
Sunflower Seeds


It has been this way since we were about 14 or 15, and I love it.  It's still the same nearly 5 years later.  I really, really love it.  
Because I was so full from my leafy, healthy salad I ate: two bowls of Mac and Cheese, 4 pieces of sourdough bread, 5 little pieces of focaccia pizza bread, and a piece of molten lava cake (which was so fresh it literally felt like lava when it went down my throat).  So I am the rational one. 


Salads and food coma aside, Katie told me about her excellent idea to start up a cafe called "The Sad Cafe."  You'd basically go there to commiserate and feel sad, but ultimately it would make you feel better about life because everyone would be sad with you.  It would be in rainy Seattle.  I would have a quarter sleeve tattoo, a nose ring, and purple in my hair.  I would do all the baking and Katie would run the business.  We would serve the customers Sadwiches (sandwiches), Cries (fries), and Frownies (brownies).  


"Can I have the Caprese Sadwich, Cries, and one of those Frownies, please?"


A wonderful day.  I hope your day was wonderful, too.  


I'll be posting a bunch of new recipes soon, but in the mean time, I suggest you go to a good restaurant with a close friend, talk for hours, and remember why you were friends with him or her in the first place.  


Oh and I found out that I say "cup measure" instead of
"measuring cup."  Thank you, Dad for passing that on.  Also, thank you Oma for passing that on to him. 



But cup measure sounds normal to me! 


Love, 
Annelise

No comments:

Post a Comment