Friday, May 25, 2012

Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake


This cake is unbelievably moist and crazy good. 
 The secret ingredient is Greek yogurt, and the star fruit is the Meyer Lemon.
I only make this cake when I can get my hands on Meyer Lemons.  I get my Meyer Lemons from one of my managers at the bookstore, whose last name happens to be Myers.  I'll leave work with an enormous bag of these guys, and my coworkers will ask, "What are those?"
"Meyer lemons from Susan."
"So...they're Myer lemons? "  And then they'll give me a look.
"Yes, they are, but they're not named after Susan and her family."  And then they tune me out and keep working.  There's no time for lemon talk in a busy bookstore.


What is a Meyer Lemon?




A Meyer Lemon is not like any old lemon.  It's believed to be a cross between a typical lemon and a mandarin orange.  Their rinds even have a bit of an orange tint.  They're not as acidic as your average lemon, so they shouldn't be substituted for lemons in really sweet lemon desserts, like Lemon Bars.  Learned that lesson.
They're perfect in a dessert like this, and I think you'll agree.


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees!




Put some beautiful plain Greek yogurt in a large mixing bowl.




Dump in some sugar...




Crack in the eggs...




Add the zest of a large Meyer Lemon or two small Meyer lemons, and vanilla extract.  




Whisk it all together and it looks like this!  At this point I added in the salt and the baking powder because I'm a rule breaker. 




Dump in the flour...




Whisk in the flour.  At this point you might taste the batter and think, "Something is missing, but I don't know what it is."
It's butter.  Butter is missing.  It's always butter.




A stick of melted butter will do the trick!




Pour the melted butter into the batter...




Fold the melted butter into the batter...and the batter is done!




Get out your trusty Bundt pan.  




This is my beautiful Heritage Bundt pan.  I am obsessed with it.  The little pointy edges of the mold make crusty, dry little corners on the finished cake, but it's so pretty I'm willing to overlook it.  What does that say about me?


Grease/flour your bundt pan and bake it for about 40 minutes.  My oven runs hot (I know, I know, but I'm going to keep telling you), so you might want to put it in for another 5 to 10 minutes.  


Meanwhile...


You're going to make a simple syrup of sugar and Meyer lemon juice to pour over the cake while it's still warm.  




Combine equal parts lemon juice and sugar, and melt it over medium/medium-low heat until the sugar has completely melted and it turns into a syrup.




This syrup is what makes the cake.  It gives it a tart, sweet, deliciously Lemony edge.  Enough adjectives? 


Now for the glaze...



Dump the powdered sugar in a small mixing bowl and squeeze in a couple of tablespoons of Lemon juice.




Stir it up and it forms a glaze!  I don't have a picture of me squeezing the lemon juice into the powdered sugar...
because I HATE squeezing lemons for lemon juice.  It kills me.  The seeds get everywhere and land in the glaze...
Honestly, it's just easier if you don't see me like that.  You don't want to.




Take your cake out of the bundt pan once the pan has cooled.




Put it on a metal rack over either a paper towel or a sheet pan.




Pour the syrup you made over the cake and let it soak.  Not all of it will absorb, but that's okay.  My Ninja Blender is in the background.  Sigh. It's perfect.




Now pour the glaze onto the cake! Be happy!




Isn't that beautiful?




Cut yourself a massive slice and feel accomplished for making an incredibly moist, delicious Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake!


This is lekker and perfect for summer.


Enjoy, guys!


Love,
Annelise


The Recipe:


1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 cup granulated sugar
3 eggs
zest of 2 Meyer Lemons
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups flour
1 stick melted butter


for the syrup:
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup sugar


for the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice


Preheat oven to 350.
Combine Yogurt, sugar, eggs, zest and vanilla extract until creamy.  Then add the salt, baking powder and flour until combined.
Melt one stick of butter, pour it into the batter and fold in with a rubber spatula.  
Grease a bundt pan and pour the batter in.  Bake for 40-50 minutes, depending on the heat of your oven.


While the cake is baking, heat sugar and lemon over medium-low heat until the sugar has dissolved completely and it forms a syrup.  Set aside.


Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl and combine to form a glaze.  Set aside.


Remove the cake from your bundt pan once the pan has cooled.  
While the cake is warm, put it on a metal rack over a paper towel or a sheet pan and pour the simple syrup over the cake and let it absorb.
Once absorbed, pour the glaze over the cake.  It's done!  Cut a gigantic slice and enjoy!





1 comment: