Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Chocolate Chunk Cookies


I feel like this picture speaks for itself.


But I'm going to write more anyway.


My Aunt Jodie has always made the best chocolate chip cookies in the world.  They're gigantic, doughy, and crumbly...and God's gift to the world.    
I asked my mom if she thought Aunt Jodie would ever give me the recipe, and she said no.  So I went about my life for years thinking that Aunt Jodie would never give me the recipe.  I kept thinking about all of the extra sugar and butter she put into the recipe, all of the secret methods she employed to make those cookies so magical.
But then one day, I took my life into my own hands and something miraculous happened.


Me: "Aunt Jodie, would you ever maybe consider giving me your chocolate cookie recipe? I promise I won't tell anyone about it.  I swear."
Aunt Jodie: "Yeah, sure.  There's nothing to it, really.  I just do a variation of the Toll House recipe."
Me: "Oh."


I've changed the baking temperature, the time it takes to bake them...and I've added chocolate chunks.  Chocolate chunks are essential to these cookies, in my opinion.  I never make these cookies without them.  I mean, you can do whatever you want, but chunks are the best.
So.


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  






Put some softened butter in a large mixing bowl.  Yes, I microwave my butter to soften it.  Everything will be okay, I promise.




Dump in the granulated sugar and the light brown sugar.  It's really important that you use light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar. 
I accidentally made these with dark brown sugar once.
They're not even the same cookies.  It blows my mind.






Cream the butter and sugars together until fluffy.




Whisk in the eggs...




One at a time...




Until it looks like diz.




Now you add the salt, baking soda, and vanilla.




  Now you're going to add in a the flour a leetle bit at a time.  This recipe calls for a lot of flour, so feel free to enlist a big strong guy to help you incorporate that last bit of the stuff.


ATTENTION:
I did not take a picture of the next step because it's the magic little addition that makes these cookies unique.  Actually, I didn't think you'd see much in a picture, but still, it's a magical little step.
After you add the first two cups of flour you add a tablespoon/spoonful of water to the dough.  I'm not sure exactly what it does, but Aunt Jodie does it, so I'm doing it.
If she told me to jump off a cliff, would I do it?




The dough should be pretty thick.




The spoon will stick straight up in the dough.  I was having fun with perspective.


These are chocolate chunks.  They are magical and I love them.  If you absolutely have to you can use semisweet chocolate chips, but why would you?
These are beautiful and pure and everything I want in life.  You want them in your life, too.  




Dump in the glorious chocolate chunks...




Use some elbow grease and really get those chunks combined.  You want a good amount of chocolate in every cookie.  I cannot even express to you the depth of my sadness at the thought of a cookie with too few chocolate chunks. 




These cookies are going to be huge.  That's part of what makes them so delicious.  This batch will make about 19 cookies.  Lately, I've been making 17 cookies out of a dough that should make about 52.  But if you're going to eat a chocolate chunk cookie, you might as well eat a chocolate chunk cookie, you know?  So just really make them large; you'll be happy you did.  
Flatten the dough out a little bit, too.


My oven runs pretty warm (I'm a broken record), and I put these in for about 15 minutes so they get nice and golden brown.
You want them to look like this:




Oh, baby.  Look at that hand.  




Um...




I'm just going to take one of these.


They're the best right out of the oven.  They're great all the time, but they're at their absolute best right out of the oven.  
These kill me...I love them so much.
These will ruin you because other cookies will never taste as good as these.  
Everyone will dub you the chocolate chip/chunk cookie Queen/King.  
Thank you, Aunt Jodie for giving me the recipe for your lekker chocolate chip cookies.


Make sure you use the chocolate chunks, though. 


Love, 
Annelise


Here's the recipe:


Chocolate Chunk Cookies


2 sticks butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup LIGHT brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
Almost 3 cups of flour.  Not very scientific, but that's what I was told.  Go just under 3 cups of flour.  
1 tbsp water
1 bag (2 cups) of semisweet chocolate chunks/chips. 


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


Put two sticks of softened butter in a large mixing bowl.  Add in the sugars and cream until fluffy.  
Whisk the eggs in one at a time.  Then add the vanilla, salt and baking soda.  
Now add the flour in small increments.  *After you add the first two cups of flour, add in a tablespoon/spoonful of water.  
Once all of the flour has been incorporated add in the chocolate chunks.  Incorporate well.
Grease a cookie sheet and place huge piece of flattened cookie dough onto the sheet (about 9 per cookie sheet).  Bake for about 15 minutes, until nice and golden brown.
Try not to eat five at one time.
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment