Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Best Brownies in the World


These brownies are abnormally delicious. 

But I'll admit that for a very long time I believed that homemade brownies were pretty disappointing--there was too much butter or the chocolate flavor wasn't what I expected.  Plus, they just weren't as fudgy and as wonderful as, say, those triple-chocolate chunk brownies you buy at the store.  From a mix.  You know what I'm talking about.


I swore to myself that if I made homemade brownies that they would have both cocoa powder and your basic semisweet chocolate.  They would be just as good as the boxed kind.  But let me tell you--these are better than the boxed kind.  Much better than the boxed kind.


I got my chocolate for these at the super-ritzy grocery store near my house.  They're the kind of store where the bag boy says, "Is paper okay?" ...I know how expensive it is, but honestly, I love going there so I can walk through their fancy cheese aisle.  They aren't quite Whole Foods or Trader Joe's--but my God they have a huge selection of cheese.  It's embarrassing how much I like it.  
They also happen to be the only store in my area that sells chocolate chunks.  Those I absolutely need for my Chocolate Chunk cookies, which are sinful.  I will be sharing those with you soon, you lucky people.


So, please preheat your oven to 325.  The low temperature really makes these. But I have a feeling my oven runs hot (maybe you've heard me lament about this before), so if they need to be in for longer, it's all good.




Break the semisweet chocolate into big chunks and throw it in a bowl with some cubed butter.  




I don't have a double-boiler and I really don't think I'd use it if I did--I microwave my chocolate and butter, and it turns out just fine.     A double boiler is this contraption that has a glass bowl/pot over simmering water--they're used because it's a far more gentle process than microwaving the chocolate and it won't scorch the it.  But then again, it's not like I put the chocolate in the microwave for 5 minutes.  That would be stupid.  So pop it in the microwave for about 30 seconds at 50%.  
And if the chocolate hasn't melted go ahead and put it in for another 15 seconds.  However, even if the chocolate doesn't look melted enough, just stir it around and I can almost guarantee you it'll be plenty smooth in about 5 seconds.




Dump the ridiculous amount of sugar into the chocolate/butter mixture...




Crack in the eggs and whisk them into the chocolate/sugar mixture.




It kind of looks like a batter now!




Add the cocoa, vanilla, and a tiny pinch of salt.




The lighting is much better in this picture, I approve.  So, while you admire the light that's coming through the window, dump in the flour.  




And once you combine all the flour, you'll have a nice, sturdy brownie batter.  It'll be thicker than the kind from the box.




Add in the chocolate chunks.  I used half of a huge 7 oz Hershey's chocolate bar, and it was the best thing in the world.  You can use whatever kind of chocolate you want.  Or you could leave it out, but I don't know why you would.  It's more delicious this way.




Pour it into the pan and then spread it around so it's smooth on top.


Now, guys, here comes the best part about these brownies. I want you to be ready.  




You're going to sprinkle a little bit of Kosher salt onto these bad boys (or you can use coarse sea salt).  The crunchy, salty topping is ridiculously delicious.  You just have to trust me, even if you think it's weird.  It's just so, so good.  Just a little will do, no need to go crazy.


You're going to bake them for about 40 minutes at 325.  The low temperature creates that crinkly brownie crust on the top.  Mine were perfect when I put a toothpick in the center and only a little bit of batter was on the toothpick.  They're best when slightly underdone.




And behold! Little tester marks in the center of the brownies!
No, but really, these are so perfect.  Just look at how much they look like the boxed mix!  I'm too impressed with myself, but I just hated homemade brownies so much that these are a revelation.




Cut yourself a nice big piece and behold its beauty. Look at it from this angle!




And look at it at this angle!  I want one of these so, so badly.  They were full of sin and decadence and happiness.  And chocolate.
You will be so impressed with yourself when you make these.  
Such lekker brownies.  


Love,
Annelise


Here's the recipe:


1 stick of butter
4oz Semisweet chocolate
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 c flour
3.4-7 oz of Milk chocolate chunks (I used Hershey's chocolate bars), depending on how much chocolate you want in your brownies
Kosher Salt/Coarse sea salt for sprinkling


Preheat the oven to 325.


Cut the butter and semisweet chocolate into chunks and microwave them in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds on 50% heat.  If it doesn't look melted enough put it in for another 15 seconds.  If it still doesn't look melted enough, just stir it and it will melt just fine.
Transfer the chocolate/butter mixture into a larger bowl and dump in the sugar.  Combine.
Add in the eggs one at a time.  Then add in the cocoa, pinch of salt, and vanilla.
Dump in the flour and combine.  Cut the milk chocolate bar into chunks and fold it into the batter.
Grease a small baking pan and spread the brownie batter into the pan.  Sprinkle with coarse salt.  
Bake at 425 for 40 minutes.  They're done when you stick a toothpick in the center and only a small amount of batter remains on the toothpick.  They're best a little underdone.
Cut a huge piece and enjoy it!





1 comment:

  1. Those look delicious! I love the salt on top and I have this idea of adding caramel to make it a salted caramel brownie! YUM!! Oh and I don't have a double-boiler either...I just stick a metal bowl on top of a pot of boiling water! No need to buy extra fancy tools. :)

    ReplyDelete