Thursday, April 26, 2012

Snickerdoodles






I brought these Snickerdoodles to work and I was happy when people said how much they loved them, how they tried to stop at one but couldn't.  As a baker, this is a huge, very welcome compliment.
What I wasn't expecting was having multiple people say days and days afterwards, "So, I heard you made Snickerdoodles..."  
It's kind of hilarious, because these experimental Snickerdoodles have no butter or cream of tartar (two key components of this type of cookie). 
I used vegetable shortening in place of the butter, added a little milk for the dairy, and used vinegar instead of cream of tartar.
Bake these and people will spread really great rumors about you.




Combine the shortening, light brown sugar, and granulated white sugar in a mixing bowl.  Sticks of Crisco are much, much easier because they don't get all over your hands, and trust me, you don't want that to happen.  It's an oil slick for your hands that will not come off with anything but Dawn dishwashing soap. Please don't try to just wash it off with warm water...you'll fry your hands. Not that I would know...






Cream the sugars and the shortening together.




Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Add the vanilla, the milk, and the vinegar, and whisk until fluffy.




In my first post--Banana Bread--I told you that I never sift my dry ingredients.  Well this time I did--I wanted to impress you.  
Actually, this was the first recipe I ever shot, and I didn't know what I was doing.  I say that if you don't want to sift the dry ingredients, don't.  
So sift the flour, salt, and the baking soda. If you want.




Add the flour gradually...




Combine all the flour until the dough looks like this!




Combine the additional sugar and cinnamon to make some cinnamon sugar! If you have any extra, make some cinnamon toast...or more of these.




Roll the dough into a ball a little larger than this--my first batch didn't go over so well because the cookies were too small.  They may seem really large, but trust me, you'll love how they turn out when you use more dough.
And yes, I'm a hand model.


Now, this part's important:
When you roll the cookies in the cinnamon sugar, only roll one side in the cinnamon sugar.  With my first batch, I rolled the whole little bundle of dough in it because I was so excited.  The bottoms of the cookies turned out a little burnt because the sugar caramelized on the bottom while they were baking.  Not so great. So, only put cinnamon sugar on one side of the little ball of dough.




Grease a cookie sheet, any size will do. Place the non-Cinnamon-sugared (?) sides down on the cookie sheet.  This is from my failed first batch, so please note the little balls of dough should be bigger than this.




Now, press the dough down with your fingers, because these guys don't spread too much.


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bake for 8-10 minutes, depending on whether or not your oven is the temperature of the sun, like mine.


Basically, you want them to look like this:




Voila! Beautiful snickerdoodles that everyone will love. 

By the way, AllRecipes has this fantastic little link where you can see the substitutes for all major cooking/baking ingredients--it's how I got the idea to put vinegar in these!
Here's the website:
http://allrecipes.com/howto/common-ingredient-substitutions/



Enjoy, guys! Hopefully all those good rumors will be buzzing around your office, classroom, kitchen, etc. 


Lekker. 


Love, 
Annelise


Here's the recipe:


1 cup vegetable shortening (or two sticks)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp milk
4 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt


For the cinnamon sugar:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 400.
Cream shortening and both sugars together.  Add the eggs, one at a time, and then add the milk, vinegar, and vanilla, whisking until fluffy.
Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder.  Add the flour to the wet sugar/shortening/egg mixture in gradually until fully incorporated.
Combine the half cup of sugar and the cinnamon to make some cinnamon sugar.
Roll a generous portion of dough into a ball and roll half of it in the cinnamon sugar, and place the sugared side up on a greased baking sheet.
Flatten the little balls of dough with your fingers so the cookies look nice when you take them out of the oven.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, depending on how how your oven is. You want them to be golden brown on the edges.
Let them cool, give them away, and wait for the rumors to start!





No comments:

Post a Comment